Our office is not only dedicated to your smile, we're also dedicated to your overall wellness. We take a holistic approach to your dental care, which includes an oral cancer screening as a part of your regular exam. Like many kinds of cancer, oral cancer can be life-threatening and extremely disfiguring if not diagnosed and treated early.
We have the skills and tools to ensure that early signs and symptoms of oral cancer and pre-cancerous conditions are identified. While these symptoms may be caused by other, less serious problems, it is very important to visit our office to rule out the possibility of oral cancer. The most common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Red or white spots or sores anywhere in the oral cavity
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal
- A lump, thickening, or rough spot
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness anywhere in the mouth or on the lips
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
Our team is trained in Oral Cancer Screening including the use of the Oral ID-Oral Caner Screening device, a visual simple, quick screening that involves an examination of your oral cavity as a whole, as well as physically feeling the tissue of your mouth and throat to detect any abnormalities. The Oral ID is a Fluorescence Optical technology that allows our team to shine a blue light that can identify oral cancer, pre-cancer, and other abnormal lesions at an earlier stage.
Aside from receiving an oral cancer screening during your checkup at our office, there are things you can do to help prevent oral cancer.
- The best way to prevent oral cancer is to avoid all tobacco products and only drink alcohol in moderation.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit your exposure to the sun and always wear UV-A/B-blocking, sun-protective lotions on your skin as well as your lips.